Are you currently working with National Park Service’s Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance (RTCA) Program? Check out a potential funding opportunity with the Challenge Cost Share Grant Program!
The 2017 Challenge Cost Share Grant Program is available from Outdoor Nation and the National Park Service. This grant is available to local partners that are currently working with National Park Service Staff on local projects. Applications are due July 1, 2016.
Challenge Cost Share projects are as diverse as our national parks. This year they seek to support projects that serve parks and promote bold innovation in one or more of three thematic categories:
- Urban Outreach: Projects to promote active healthy living, restore or conserve community natural and cultural assets, or promote close-to-home access to recreation within an urban setting.
- Youth Engagement: Projects to engage youth participants to play, learn, serve, and work associated with NPS sites.
- Connecting People to the Outdoors: Projects to enhance access to outdoor recreation opportunities.
Purpose and Scope:
- The Challenge Cost Share Program supports local projects that promote conservation and recreation, environmental stewardship, education, and engaging youth in the outdoors.
- Local project partners work with National Park Service (NPS) staff to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Applications are submitted by NPS staff in collaboration with project partners.
- This partnership challenge rewards those proposals that highlight long lasting benefits while developing new partnerships
- NPS administered parks are eligible including National Parks, National Trails, and Wild and Scenic Rivers.
- Partners may be educational institutions, private for-profit entities, or not-for-profit organizations.
- Project must have the endorsement of the NPS, as well as assurance from the local partner(s) that the project’s budget is viable.
- $25,000 is the maximum Challenge Cost Share project support.
- Project should be completed within the fiscal year.
Project applications are accepted between May 2, 2016 and July 1, 2016 for Fiscal Year 2017.
Funding and Match:
The program requires equal matching share. Cash, goods, or services from non-federal sources can be considered as a cost share.
The maximum Challenge Cost Share project support is $25,000.
If selected our national partner, Outdoor Foundation, forms an agreement and provides project funds directly to the local partner. Applications are submitted by NPS staff in collaboration with project partners.
Find out about this and more funding opportunities on the Blue Trails Guide Funding Database!
Photo Credit: Mike Fiebig, North Fork Flathead River, MT