The Cayce house is important to the community as one of the first residences constructed in the city and one of the last such dwellings remaining. Built in 1917 by merchant William J. Cayce, founder of the town, the house distinctly represents an individualistic design typical of the life style of the emerging prosperous merchant of the period. The house further provides an identifying and recognized landmark for the community. The community has retained little of its original historical identity since it began after the turn of the century as an outgrowth of William J. CayceÍs railroad store, first called ñCayceÍs Siding,î which later was replaced by a larger general merchandise establishment offering groceries, seed, and fertilizer to local farmers. This site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.