At least three unsuccessful attempts were made in the 1790s to bridge the Congaree River. The existing bridge opened in 1927, replacing at least two earlier bridges, one of which was constructed in 1827. The 1827 bridge was burned by Confederate forces in 1865 to impede the Union advance on Columbia. Union forces instead entered Columbia by crossing the Saluda and Broad rivers to the northwest, though not before shelling Columbia from the opposite bank. The remains of the original bridge are still visible along the West Columbia Riverwalk portion of the Three Rivers Greenway.