This community emerged in 1894 as a home for operatives working at the Columbia Duck Mill. The mill village itself is a 24 block residential district bordering the Congaree River. The area is part of the broader New Brookland Historic District, which today consists of coffee shops, antique stores, and an eclectic collection of specialty shops. The village is now home to young families. This site is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.